Friday, July 31, 2009

night happenings

This past week I went to a beautiful waterbirth. The midwife called it a "butter birth" and that was a perfect description. I am so happy to be involved in birth as a doula.


So here's a little funny thing about that night. My husband Jason and I had gone to bed around 10:o0, and he's so exhausted he hits the pillow and falls asleep. I was up reading when I got the call around 10:45. Jason mumbled and rolled over when the phone rang. I was sure I woke him with talking and getting ready in our room. I came back into bed that night around 3 AM. The next morning I was telling him what a great birth it was and he was like "What? Jessica* had her baby last night? You were at a birth? I had no idea you even left!" I guess I don't have to worry about disturbing his sleep when I get calls at night!

The other funny thing is while I was at the hospital with Jessica, my other client due soon called me saying she was having contractions. I thought, "Sweet, two births in one night". I advised my other client to rest since it was night time and to call me if things started picking up. Things slowed down though and she's still pregnant...any day now I will get to be a doula at another birth. I'm really excited!

*name changed

1 comment: