Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas!

We had a wonderful Christmas yesterday and a very busy Christmas season. The boys birthday is one week before Christmas, and I threw them a party at my house. It's been non stop!

One thing I love about Christmas is that it's not just about Jesus, it's also about his mother Mary. It's about birth and life and motherhood and babies too. If you haven't seen this already, here is a link to a blog post about some artwork depicting Mary nursing Jesus. It's really neat!

I remember when I studied in Jerusalem for a term we went to the church that was built to commemorate Mary nursing Jesus. Supposedly a drop of milk spilled in that spot so they built a church over it. This was before I was even married, but I really loved the idea of nursing back then so I have a picture of myself in front of the sculpture of Mary's squirting milk.

I love being a woman and being able to conceive and grow and then continue to nourish my children once they are born. Here's a picture of me nursing Audrey last Christmas.



Last year she was just barely starting solids...now she barely nurses. Just once either in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning. She's just not interested in it any other time. I love nursing and I do look forward to nursing a baby again someday. I think I will feel really sad when I know it's my last time.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. I'm pregnant with my last baby and am wondering how sad I will feel to be going through all the "lasts" for the last time- being pregnant, delivery, breastfeeding, first steps. I'm sure I'll cry.

    ReplyDelete