Tuesday, May 11, 2010

VBA2C information

I am still a VBA2C hopeful someday. I remember after I had Audrey I thought for a short while that I would always have to have cesareans after that. But that thought didn't last long. Soon I learned the acronym VBAmC (Vaginal birth after multiple cesareans) and I was so hopeful. A lot of women have done it before me, and they truly paved the way for other women. I was talking with a friend the other day who thought she was out of options too after having 2 c-sections, but I told her it doesn't have to be that way. Of course, some women may not want to choose a VBA2C, but for someone who wants one but is told it's not possible, I want to give them hope.

Here in Chicago area we have at least one place with a good track record of VBA2C, and that's UIC, University of Illinois at Chicago. I saw them for an annual exam last year and they told me that I certainly had the option of VBA2C when I have my next baby. They have midwives there, and Dr. Judith Hibbard is apparently the one to see who overseas the VBA2C deliveries. There is another doctor up in Elk Grove who has done some VBA2Cs according to my ICAN list. I also know some women who have had HBA2C, (home birth) though there are no legal midwives or doctors who will attend them. (Here in Illinois only CNMs can legally attend home births, and only one of the 5 or so CNMs attends a primary HBAC after 1 cesarean).

There is hope!

There is so much information on the web. Here is a brief list of some helpful links:


ICAN online --International Cesarean Awareness Network is a great place to start!


This is a great blog entry that talks about the history of cesareans . The book Pushed by Jennifer Block also gives the most comprehensive background on the issues behind VBAC, and how the VBAC lash isn't really strictly about safey.
Other good reads are Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin, Birth: the Surprising history of how we are born, by Tina Cassidy and Born in the USA by Mardsen Wagner.

I love this video about one woman's journey of VBA2C.


Here is some great information about VBA2C by Kmom, who is such a good writer and an experienced VBA2C mom.


On her site she has a big list of VBAmC stories

There has been a lot of coverage lately in the media, including this Chicago tribune article on VBAC, with story of VBA2C


Also, I love these videos:





Here is a article covering the research that says VBA2C a safe option for many women,

Even for women with three cesareans it may still be a safe option!
says another article.

Although I have not had my VBA2C yet (I'm not even sure when I'll have my next baby) I do believe that it is possible for women who desire it and are willing to take the road "less travelled by". It may just make all the difference. I'm so thankful to the women who have gone before me and had VBA2C. They are an inspiration to me!!

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, I loved this post. Alex's video was moving and was actually the first time I had ever seen a c-section. I was curious after having my own, but avoided images of it because I knew it would be traumatic -- even 1.5 years after my own, it was still so fresh and painful to see what a c section entails! It was wonderful to see the video resolve with such a beautiful home birth. I feel like celebrating for her!

    Anyway, this post was empowering and the women you featured have done wonderful things to pave the way for the rest of us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some good VBAMC stories out there. I hope that if you have another baby you'll have a great VBA2C story too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always so inspired by vbamc moms! One mom in our birth circle had a hba3c! I really love her story-- http://www.nurturingheartsbirthservices.com/blog/?p=138

    Just goes to show that you are never out of options, unless you choose to be. I'm glad you have some good providers to choose from when the times comes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching Alex's video made me pretty emotional. It is harder to watch cesarean footage now that I've had one.
    I really hope you get the birth experience of your dreams with your next baby, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete