Wednesday, July 21, 2010

New VBAC Guidelines

I'm so happy to see that ACOG has revised their guidelines for VBAC. Not that I needed them telling me I can attempt a VBA2C but it certainly will help my case for my next pregnancy (not sure when that will be yet, but I do hope to have another baby).
Here's a yahoo article summarizing the news and here is the ACOG press release statement.
Main take away quote: "Attempting a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) is a safe and appropriate choice for most women who have had a prior cesarean delivery, including for some women who have had two previous cesareans, according to guidelines released today by The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists."
VBAC facts gives an analysis of the statement and ICAN has a response as well.

Yes, this is a step in the right direction. Now I hope to see it put into practice.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I hope it gets taken seriously by the majority of OB/GYNs. Heard this summer that my OB sister-in-law's practice had a policy of supporting VBAC after 1, but not 2. Maybe they'll reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support VBAC and I hope it would be implemented to all.
    Early Pregnancy Symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the first thing Forrest said to me when he walked in from a 14 hour day in Labor and Deliver, "I love VBACS!"

    WHAT!?!?!?!?

    A woman came into L&D at 37 weeks, she was in labor, it was her second baby. Her first baby was born in the Dominican Republic via c-section. She had no idea why they gave her a c-section the first time and no idea what kind of incision she had. After admitting her, Forrest got to sit in on a little discussion and the conclusion was, "let's get ready for a VBAC!" VBAC!!

    I'm so impressed with these Columbia doctors. Every night I grill him and they really are following the research found in all our natural birth books. It's amazing to me! Doctors aren't evil! (at least the doctors F is working with).

    I was so excited to tell you!

    The end.

    ReplyDelete