Thursday, September 3, 2009
Sent it in!
I finally sent in my paperwork for DONA certification. When I took the training course I had a goal to finish the paperwork by the end of summer, so I'm on track with my goal. It just feels like it took a long time!
Here's what it cost:
$11 postage
$6 copy of my application
$60 application fee
$85 DONA membership and certificaiton packet
$25 Bradley class materials (quite a bargin since I got to attend the class for free)
$375 DONA training course
$70 webiste
~$130 in books to build my library
~$200+ babysitting money I've paid while attending births
plus gas money and misc costs such as meals, which I haven't been keeping track of
It's not a huge investment by any means, but we're on a tight budget and a single income family, so it was a bit of a sacrifice. It's worth it it though as I am totally loving being a doula. (Also I am now charging for births so I will soon be out of the red in the doula area).
Here's what it cost:
$11 postage
$6 copy of my application
$60 application fee
$85 DONA membership and certificaiton packet
$25 Bradley class materials (quite a bargin since I got to attend the class for free)
$375 DONA training course
$70 webiste
~$130 in books to build my library
~$200+ babysitting money I've paid while attending births
plus gas money and misc costs such as meals, which I haven't been keeping track of
It's not a huge investment by any means, but we're on a tight budget and a single income family, so it was a bit of a sacrifice. It's worth it it though as I am totally loving being a doula. (Also I am now charging for births so I will soon be out of the red in the doula area).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is incredible! Way to go, Sarah! I would love to have you as a doula for a future birth.
ReplyDeleteIs it just me, or do people who go into doulaing always have a passion for it? It doesn't seem like it is currently the type of position people go into just to pay the bills and clock out when it's done. Has that been your experience through this process?
WOOHOO!!!! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to get that far into the process!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Sarah! Way to go! Maybe someday (and that's a big maybe) I'll get my act together and follow suit! :-)
ReplyDeleteYes, you definitely have to have a passion. Being on call all the time is quite stressful, and I don't think anyone could do it just to earn some extra money.
ReplyDeleteYay, that's great! And you are making a huge investment, I think. A financial investment as well as an investment into women's lives that's invaluable!
ReplyDeleteI agree that one must possess a passion for birth in order to become a doula. I'm sure there are much higher paid jobs out there and the best doulas only have a couple clients a month anyway (to avoid having multiple clients in labor at the same time). Many doulas provide services for free or on a sliding scale so that money is never a reason someone doesn't get the help they need. So, yes, a passion for birth and women is very important to have.
Congrats, Bud! I'm so proud of you that you went through with all of this. You have such a passion and always talked about doing something like this or becoming a midwife and now here you are! And with three young kids, too. You amaze me.
ReplyDeleteI am happy for you. Being a tool to allow women to birth the way THEY want to birth is amazing. I am sure you are doing a great job! In case you didn't see on my blog. You can totally post my birth story.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Achieving our dreams is so fulfilling. What a blessing you will be to so many others...
ReplyDelete