Saturday, June 6, 2009
First Home birth!
I went to my first home birth the past week. I went with the doula who trained me. It was really neat!
In the past year I have become a big advocate for homebirth. I am not saying I want to have one, because homebirth is especially safe for low risk women, and because I've had two cesarean, I am not "low risk". The problem is, many women are being denied the care they deserve in a hospital (like banning VBACs or insisting on c-sections for breech babies) so some women have to seek home birth even if they are what would be considered "high risk".
I was speaking to the doctor that was attending the home birth and he said they used to do twins, VBACs, and breech births, but in the past few years they stopped doing those. He said it's all politics, and that they would like to do those types of births, but they have to do what they can to keep home birth a viable option at least for the low risk women.
In the past year I have become a big advocate for homebirth. I am not saying I want to have one, because homebirth is especially safe for low risk women, and because I've had two cesarean, I am not "low risk". The problem is, many women are being denied the care they deserve in a hospital (like banning VBACs or insisting on c-sections for breech babies) so some women have to seek home birth even if they are what would be considered "high risk".
I was speaking to the doctor that was attending the home birth and he said they used to do twins, VBACs, and breech births, but in the past few years they stopped doing those. He said it's all politics, and that they would like to do those types of births, but they have to do what they can to keep home birth a viable option at least for the low risk women.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My best friend had her second at home. I am soooo jealous. But I love the idea of homebirth so much, that is what I am going into my career for. I am going to be a CPM, and I couldn't be more excited! More women need the option.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to meet a doc who does homebirths! What a rare find!
ReplyDeletetwo Ceseareans are almost the same statistically speaking riskwise as one cesearean. It takes time to be ready for a homebirth. I started thinkng after my second cesearean and gathered as much info as possible. I was finally ready with my next birth (almost 2 1/2 years later) moslty *becuase* I had a lack of other options...I wanted a large family and 3 sections was closer to "once a C always a C) and the hosptial had a no VBAC policy.
ReplyDeleteAnyway...just wanted to plant a seed. :-) I'm here in the neighborhood visiting with Chicagosapps and would love to meet you irl. If you are interested, email me at belcantomom at gmail dot com.