Tuesday, May 12, 2009
c-section rates for local hospitals
I found an online government page where I could look up the c-section rates of hospitals in Illinois. Unfortunately, the hospitals are not enforced to keep track of this, so I wasn't able to find out all the hospitals. Here's some c-section rates from 2007:
Edward Hospital, Naperville : 35% c-section rate
Rush Copley, Aurora: 31% c-section rate
Del Nor, Geneva: 36%
West Suburban, Oak park: 20%
Hindsdale Hosptial (where Audrey was born): 26%
I wasn't able to confirm this on the listing because this hospital didn't put in their results, but I have been told that Central DuPage Hospital has a 39-40% c-section rate! (That's where I was born 29 years ago).
I think it is very important that we know what the c-section rates are of both our hospitals and the practices we see. Because I see it this way: If a doctor has a 40% c-section rate, you have about a 40% chance of having a c-section. Repeat cesareans throw the numbers higher, so probably a better indication would be a doctor's primary c-section rate rather than his overall, but still, a 40% c-section rate gives a good idea of how a doctor practices.
In summary, high cesarean rates have more to do with doctor's preferences and practices than a woman's inability to give birth.
I encourage you to find out your midwife/doctor's c-section rate and the c-section rate of the hospital you are delivering at.
Edward Hospital, Naperville : 35% c-section rate
Rush Copley, Aurora: 31% c-section rate
Del Nor, Geneva: 36%
West Suburban, Oak park: 20%
Hindsdale Hosptial (where Audrey was born): 26%
I wasn't able to confirm this on the listing because this hospital didn't put in their results, but I have been told that Central DuPage Hospital has a 39-40% c-section rate! (That's where I was born 29 years ago).
I think it is very important that we know what the c-section rates are of both our hospitals and the practices we see. Because I see it this way: If a doctor has a 40% c-section rate, you have about a 40% chance of having a c-section. Repeat cesareans throw the numbers higher, so probably a better indication would be a doctor's primary c-section rate rather than his overall, but still, a 40% c-section rate gives a good idea of how a doctor practices.
In summary, high cesarean rates have more to do with doctor's preferences and practices than a woman's inability to give birth.
I encourage you to find out your midwife/doctor's c-section rate and the c-section rate of the hospital you are delivering at.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I recently read about a hospital in Miami that BOASTS of its 70% c-section rate. SEVENTY PERCENT. That is so ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteAMEN! This is insanity!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment on my blog. Do you mind if I add yours to my blog list? Oh, and 40% c/s rate, I am speechless!
ReplyDelete