Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Being Born is Important

By Carl Sandburg

Being born is important
You who have stood at the bedposts
and seen a mother on her high harvest day,
the day of the most golden of harvest moons for her.


You who have seen the new wet child
dried behind the ears,
swaddled in soft fresh garments,
pursing its lips and sending a groping mouth
toward nipples where white milk is ready.


You who have seen this love's payday
of wild toiling and sweet agonizing.


You know being born is important.
You know that nothing else was ever so important to you.
You understand that the payday of love is so old,
So involved, so traced with circles of the moon,
So cunning with the secrets of the salts of the blood.
It must be older than the moon, older than salt.


**I saw this poem on a midwife's homepage, then googled it and found it on several other birth blogs. That led me to finding this beautiful artwork on birth.

4 comments:

  1. I love that poem! Sometime or other I'm going to post it on my blog as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem. I've never seen it before. Definitely one I'm going to hang on to!! Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love the imagery he creates with his words...how he has made something so rich and deep with the same words that each of us speak every day.

    ReplyDelete