Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Nursing Audrey
I still nurse Audrey a little bit, a very little bit. I'm surprised I still have milk, but I do have enough for a morning feeding, which is the only time she is interested in nursing. She still sometimes wakes up at night and I nurse her so sometimes it's two feedings. I plan to just continue until she gives it up completely. I still think it's cute and sweet when she nurses and since it's not very often it's not inconvenient. Plus I enjoy ten minutes extra sleep time while she nurses first thing after she wakes up. I think it must still have some health benefit because when I got sick with the flu a few weeks ago she didn't get it. Maybe she got my antibodies through my milk.
I know not everyone can or wants to nurse, but I think it's such a wonderful aspect of childbearing, and just as important as birth (if not more because it lasts longer). I do feel proud that I have nursed all my children for over a year.
Thank you everyone for your kind comments from my last post.
I just read a great quote and I want to implement it more in my life:
"With realization of one own's potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world" Dalia Lama
I know not everyone can or wants to nurse, but I think it's such a wonderful aspect of childbearing, and just as important as birth (if not more because it lasts longer). I do feel proud that I have nursed all my children for over a year.
Thank you everyone for your kind comments from my last post.
I just read a great quote and I want to implement it more in my life:
"With realization of one own's potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world" Dalia Lama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm glad you're writing again...I enjoy reading your posts....and yes, you do give Audrey your antibodies through your milk....its completely amazing how the body works like that!
ReplyDeleteI think you're right about the benefits. My daughter who nursed until she was almost 2 and a half gets sick extremely rarely, and it's always mild when she does. (My other daughter (nursed 15-ish months) rarely gets sick also, but she does more than her younger sister and it's usually worse for her.) I feel certain their immune systems benefited greatly from nursing so "long." I hope to keep nursing my baby boy just as "long" too. :-)
ReplyDeleteThose antibodies are why I'm continuing to nurse Julia through flu season. Like Audrey, she's only interested in nursing when she's sleepy, so it's a cosy, comfort thing.
ReplyDelete